Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I saw this video on connectivism at MEGT. It is an interesting concept of education that allows a student to build his or her own knowledge base and information sources. My only concern has been those students that are still reading at second and third grade level. These students are not being adequately served when it comes to researching complex topics. I have a student who is researching the issue of cloning.
However, most sources related to cloning are written above this student's reading level. I've had to read most of the articles to the student and guide this child's analysis of the information. This is not very 21st century. The other issue regarding connectivism is the issue of access. 27% of my students do not have access to a computer on a daily basis. Throwing out the text book would not work for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment